The American Lung Association Asthma Educator Institute is a professional education course for frontline healthcare professionals, such as: nurses, nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists, physicians, physician assistants, pharmacists, other licensed or credentialed healthcare professionals, and educators with 1000+ direct hours of asthma education eligible to sit for the national asthma certification exam. Also, the course is a great refresher for AE-C's preparing for recertification.
With proper treatment, people with asthma can control their disease. When healthcare providers deliver asthma care based on the evidence-based asthma guidelines, patient outcomes improve.
The Asthma Educator Institute is a three half-day preparatory course for individuals that want to implement asthma guidelines-based care and those qualified to take the National Asthma Educator Certification Board (NAECB) examination. The American Lung Association Asthma Educator Institute was developed in January of 2003 and mirrors the National Institute of Health, Expert Panel Report 3: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma.
The curriculum covers the detailed content outline in the NAECB Candidate Handbook and includes case reviews, hands-on skills demonstration and practice. The course is delivered by asthma experts, including Certified Asthma Educators (AE-C), respiratory therapists, nurse practitioners, physicians, health educators and pharmacists.
Course Objectives & Agenda:
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the pathophysiology of the asthma condition.
- Identify factors contributing to acute and chronic asthma.
- Describe patient and family assessments related to asthma care.
- Discuss steps in the development, implementation and evaluation of an asthma management plan.
- Describe medications used in asthma management.
- Observe and demonstrate selected procedures in asthma assessment and care.
- Identify behavioral and environmental modifications in the management of asthma.
- Discuss patient and family assessments related to educational needs.
- Describe organizational issues (program outcomes, referral & networking) in asthma care.
All Nationwide Asthma Educator Institutes
If you don’t see an event that works for your schedule or location, we have more events scheduled over the next 12 months that will be posted soon. If you would like to be informed on programs, events, continuing education opportunities, or future resources, please sign up using the form below and a staff member will be in touch to discuss your needs.
Page last updated: August 19, 2021